Thursday, April 05, 2007

Running on the Sun




I was back in the desert for the first time in a long time to take care of some unfinished business. South of Tucson and north of Nogales, in the Coronado National Forest among the Santa Rita mountains and a bunch of dust lies 50 miles of trails set to punish even the most hardened ultra runner. Last year, my half-hearted effort and beat up body pushed through the course in just under 8 hours having only sniffed first place at the crack of the starting pistol.

The race began under stars and a startling chill but, in the land of the rising sun I quickly found myself chasing the ghost of Brandon Sybrowsky as my closest competitors began to wither. It was no wonder I couldn't find him, as the noon day sun and the temps began to rise, the sun shown brightly and I had to squint. Although I was 2 minutes up on his CR at mile 40, I faded in the rays to finish 7:15. A little redemption from last years woes and now I am looking forward to getting the chance to place first in Arizona's two premier 50 milers as the Zane Grey 50 looms on the horizon later this month.

No comments: