Monday, August 23, 2010

Finding Waldo


We here in Southern Oregon are know for a few things; running shirtless yes, the other, claiming victory at Where's Waldo 100k.

Tim Turk, Neil Olsen, Erik Skaggs, and now Tim Olson have WW100k titles. Sorry Eugene, Corvallis, Bend, Portland (where are you) but you are nowhere close to the four titles we hold after the races nine year stint, heck all of you together don't have as many victories as Rogue Valley Runners.  But I digress......

Back to Mr Olsen, his time of 9:25:04 is the second fastest time ever run on the ridiculous course and was supposed to be a training run for the upcoming Pine to Palm 100 Mile Endurance Run.  I know he was a little worried about being tired for the event, but now I wonder who is worried about facing him at 100 miles.  Surely I would be!  

Big congrats go out to Ben Benjamin, Erin Keller, and Annie Crispino-Taylor for their performances, they represented Ashland proper!

More to come!    

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you think Tim's victory is in any way associated with the Beer Mile on Tuesday? Brings new meaning to the word taper.
Congrats to Tim. A well deserved victory to another one of the nice guys in our sport.

Unknown said...

Oops. That was Rob on the above comment. We share the SOB gmail account. Sorry John.

Unknown said...

Tim - nice running.... To find Waldo at the top of Mt Fuji Tim had to softened up Dan O and myself with things like "Oh I'm a poor RVR employee, I really need a backpack and that sweater will surely keep me warm in the winter. Look at me I don't even have a shirt" Next time I'll know not to be such a softy... Stellar time my man!

Rogue Valley Runners said...

The amount of negotiating that goes on up the climb to Fuji is laughable. In 2008, Nate persuaded me to let him arrive in front so as he might have a reward for his young pacer that would take him to the finish. Now, if Tim told you he was a lowly RVR employee that gets paid next to nothing then he lied. He knows that everyone at RVR works for a non profit and that their time is. Tim doesn't work at RVR, he works on some of us on the trails and some of us on the massage table.

Rogue Valley Runners said...

Um, that their time is spent volunteering.

That's what I meant.

Unknown said...

See then it was probably my bad interpretation... not actually an 'employee' but just a runner in the Rogue valley. At any rate, softened me up...

Joshua Brimhall said...

This is tremendous news! Someone living in Ashland and not employed by RVR is truly a rare find. Nice work, Tim!

Anonymous said...

Thanks y'all!

I asked if any one wanted it...no response, so i jumped up to the top.
Now i have a sweet back pack...thanks Scott. lol

Yes Rob, the beer mile is a must for the right taper.

Deanna Stoppler said...

I'll be in Oregon (coming from VT) in October and would really like to join the gang on a long trail run. Anyone interested?

ruggedstickman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter Fish said...

I saw the three leaders just below the summit of Fuji, and I'm pretty sure Tim was in 3d place. Very soon after, I saw them coming down, with Tim in the lead. I can only assume he sprouted wings to get by them on that narrow trail.

saschasdad said...

Hey, wait just a minute Southern Oregonians...Central Oregon had our 4th Waldo champs 2, yes two, years ago: Bahr 03, Semick 05, Browning 07, and L'Heureux 08.

Now, where are YOUR girls??