Monday, February 16, 2009

Old Guys Do It With Style

"Old runners never die, we just look that way." -Ben Benjamin



Tom Pelsor running in Arizona.

We'd be remiss if we didn't recognize two recent and outstanding performances by two of the older representatives of the Rogue Valley Runner ultra community. Tom Pelsor, 64, of Yreka, California, escaped the winter of northern Cali and found the Arizona sun to his liking. Tom traveled to the southwest and turned in some awesome results for the Across the Years 72 Hour Footrace (Yup, that's three days!). Tom covered 161.246 miles in that amount of time. Tom was quoted on the ATY web site as to his ultra roots.

"I ran track in high school. I started running again in the 80's - 10k's and half-marathons. Some friends got me hooked on trail running in the late 90's when I was training for a marathon. Since then I've been running slower and enjoying it more. Finished 4 JJ's and 2 Rocky Raccoon's with a best time of 27 hours. Last year was my first ATY, and I did 93 miles in the 24-hour. What a great event!"

Ben Benjamin doing what he loves.

A few weeks ago, Ben Benjamin, 61, of Ashland, Oregon, headed to the woods outside of Huntsville, Texas for the Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile Trail Race. Ben beat the trail for more than a day and finished the race in 25 hours, 9 minutes and 31 seconds. 84th place out of 239 starters!

Ben said, "The trail had a lot of roots. I fell four times! It was scenic; 5 loops around a lake."

We should all be so lucky to be doing what these fellas are doing at their age. Congratulations gentlemen!

2 comments:

DK said...

You guys are an inspiration to us all. I hope I'm that cool when I'm in my 60's. Nice work gentlemen!

saschasdad said...

Plus, they're two of the nicest guys out on the trail! Great running, guys.