Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Strong Portland Debut!



This past weekend (Sunday October 7th, 2007) was the 36th annual Portland Marathon. Rogue Valley Runners' store employee, Ixel Sanchez, was there to take part. Portland was her first marathon and she confidently took it by storm. Running strong all morning long she finished in 3 hours, 16 minutes and 18 seconds. She averaged 7:30 minutes per mile and, in doing so, qualified for the Boston Marathon.

You can view Ixel's speedy finish here on You Tube.



Ixel said that the roughest patch for her was just after the half-marathon mark, where the bottoms of her feet began to hurt and the hills and bridges of Portland began to slow her down. Things turned around, however, after the 20 mile mark when she was joined fellow store employee and good friend, Natalie Hemphill.

Congratulations Ixel, job well done!

3 comments:

DK said...

Ixel,

You rock girl! Way to go on your first marathon. What's next?

Unknown said...

Running the Portland Marathon was a very rewarding experience. Even now I'm still filled with excitement! I was concerned about starting out a little too fast but everything turned out great. This is the first time I feel completely satisfied after finishing a race. I still had a little bit of extra energy to sprint at the end but my body was in complete shock when I slowed down. The feeling of finishing a marathon is so different from a 10k which is what I'm used to. I had a hard time walking the entire day, haha! Today I'm still a little sore, but it feels good :P I want to become an ultra marathon runner so this was a good start :D

Tammy said...

wow - that's very very impressive Ixel! Your first marathon AND a BQ! Congratulations. You obviously trained very well for this to achieve such a smokin' fast time!