Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Remembering Ric

Ric Sayre 1954-2011


Hey Ric”. I sure will miss saying that.

He was so understated and even keeled that calmness and capability seemed to effervesce from his pores. Perhaps that was because he was almost deaf and couldn’t hear a damn thing or perhaps that was just because he knew something I didn’t. Hopefully, if all goes well, someday down the road we will all come to know what Ric knew and if I had to guess, it probably relates to living simply and humbly and being a good person. The Rogue Valley in particular and the world in general not only lost a great runner but vastly more detrimentally lost one of the finest and most unique individuals I have ever met.

We should all try to be a bit more Ric-esque in our endeavors. Things would be better.


Please help us remember this mans indelible impact on life, running and Ashland by joining us 9 am Sunday, June 26 on The Plaza for a memorial run through Lithia Park and beyond.



7 comments:

Carly Koerner said...

I wish we could be here Sunday to run in support of the friends and family deeply effected by Ric's absence. You're all in our hearts and in our thoughts... May there be many more runs to come that we can hold in memory of such a great spirit.

We miss you already Ric!

ANDREW said...

A truly gifted and kind individual. Ric, I will truly miss you.

Todd Ragsdale said...

I guess he was ready to check out the trail running on the other side. A good man who will be missed.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ric's passing will always be a very tough to handle. Although we would just have a quick chat from time to time over the years, I will always respect and admire Ric for who he was, what he accomplished,and I will always be greatful for having known him. As I was processing out the loss while reading the paper, my daughter looked at me knowing that I was having a difficult time and said, "Dad. At least he got in his run." I smiled...

Unknown said...

Have they determined the cause of death?

Grae Van Hooser said...

I remember Ric in the 70's being the bearded, pony trailed,sub 2:20 marathoner that was not from Eugene.